Friday 12 November 2010

Walker Art Gallery

Since my visit to the Tate it really got me thinking about ways in which to display my own works, and when I found out that Wolfgang Tillmans was exhibiting at the Walker Gallery I thought that it would be a great opportunity to see how a working photographer presented his own works.

Tillmans exhibition consists of nine photographic works which are displayed amongst the gallery's permanent art collection. I love the way Tillman has displayed his version of modern day drapery amongst historic versions, such as Joseph Wright's 'Mrs Frances Hesketh'. The artist has picked out the shades of pink from her gown and reflected it in his cheap looking t-shirt- a complete contrast to the lavish and expensive looking clothes displayed alongside his.

“For an artist like Tillmans the installation functions as a work of art in its own right. Through his interventions he invites us to consider the relationship between works and the locations in which they sit, rather than simply looking at an individual piece." (http://www.artinliverpool.com/blog/2010/09/wolfgang-tillmans-at-the-walker-liverpool/)



The first two works I viewed were 'Beerenstilleben' and 'Gedser' which Tillmans  requested were displayed amongst the works by Patrick Caulfield 'Still Life Autumn Fashion' and Michael Craig-martin's 'A Glass of Water.' The artist had chosen these two works to remain in the room with his own because all four works could be visually grouped together by the colour blue and also Tillmans admiration for both British artists.

I feel that by displaying all four together it forces you to focus on the colour blue, which maybe I wouldn't have done if displayed by themselves. I also like the idea that by removing all the other works from the room, leaving only the work requested by Tillmans, it has created empty spaces where work once was, making the viewer aware of the artists deliberate choices.



I love the fact that Tillmans says himself that the photo manipulation in 'Gedser' was poorly executed and would be deemed unacceptable in terms of photo-professional skill, and yet in terms of composition it works.

Overall I think its a really interesting idea having the way that the artwork is installed become an art in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment