Wednesday 5 January 2011

Experiments

Images of experiments:
1.
2.
3.
4.
 5.
6.
 7.
8.
1. I started off my project photographing objects and places of interest. Cypriot doorways have always been an interest of mine, as they remind me of home and my childhood of my dad painting these doorways. To me, I've always like the textural qualities in the images and this is something I used as a starting point. I started building a doorway of my own, but abandoned it early, as I felt it I wasn't achieving the qualities which interested me.
2. I experimented further with card, weaving and playing with different materials, yet again I wasn't pleased with its outcome.
3. I found a piece of driftwood and tried adding textures to it with wax and sticks. In hindsight, I preferred the wood as it was.
4. I started looking at my images of the car doors and really liked the abstract qualities, and the way they seemed almost like a painting. I wanted to explore trying to create some of the effects of the metal. I felt that wax had quite interesting possibilities and played around with layering it over paint.
5. I really liked the idea of layering, so I placed coloured tissue paper in between the layers of wax to see what would happen. The process reminded me slightly of the work by Chris Ofili in the way his work is built from layers.
6. I played around with stenciling a piece of found wood, and then pressed it onto bits of wax I had coloured with powder paint. I felt the outcome wasn't that good, so I abandoned this idea.
7. Using the car doors as reference I was trying to achieve the surface textures of the metal. i used powder paint, and liked the way it had dried so I used a spray varnish to keep it in place.
8. I really liked the textures in experiment 7 so pushed the idea of wax, working on a larger scale. The car doors abstract qualities reminded me of Mark Rothko paintings and used this as a reference when making this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment